Friday, February 12, 2010

L.O.V.E

Valentines Day has finally reached us and it another year I'm reminded of how much I hate it. I remember in school when that was THE most important day in a young girls life. Of course schools had to make it that much more awkward. They had the carnations valentine flowers that you could send to each other during school and the day they got sent out was either an awesome day or the day you went home and cried. You always hoped that you would be the girl walking around with 2 dozen cheap carnations because THAT defined your existence on earth. You were either REALLY liked or not. If you were me, you totally envied the girls who proudly displayed the ugly flowers all day, as if they were telling you that you might as well no even be in her presence because SHE had more carnations than you. I hated Valentines Day. I was NOT that girl. I was lucky to get one valentine, and it was probably from one of my friends that I paid to send me a flower. Lame, I know. After 4 humiliating years, I vowed to never care about valentines day again.

Fast forward a few years and I start dating my husband. He made every valentines day special for me. Last year, while I was 8 months pregnant, he came home with a massive heart shaped pepperoni pizza and a ice cream cake. He knows how to treat pregnant women! I've never been one that likes all the lovey dovey hearts and crap but I have to say he makes me feel pretty special :) Our 2 year anniversary is coming up and once again I'm reminded of how great he is. The past 3 years have been incredibly stressful and he has stuck by me through everything. He is a wonderful devoted husband and father. I'm so blessed to have him. So, to celebrate the awesomeness that is our marriage, here's a little pictorial.

This was out first date. He asked me if I wanted to go to a Cubs game the day before, not knowing I was a die hard fan. My first impression of him was that he was a little geeky, made really weird jokes but had beautiful eyes. He was a really fun date.



Eventually, I fell for the geeky, pretty-eyed boy and we got engaged just 5 months after our first date.

This was a few months before our wedding.


We were married March 14th 2008. Not even a full year after our first date :) We had a beautiful ceremony in Watertown Minnesota. Take a wild guess where we honeymooned :)


A few months later, we were thrilled to find out we were expecting our first baby! He was due just two weeks after our one year anniversary!

Isaiah Christopher was born March 25th 2009. He is the most wonderful gift Chris and I have ever received!

We were a wonderfully, happy family of three for a while :) Until....

Yes! Number two is on the way! Due July 17th, just 16 months after Isaiah was born!!! So, as my belly and our family grows, I've realized that Valentine's Day has much more of a meaning to me. Sure, its about love, but its not about ugly carnations, boxes of cheap chocolate or cheesy Hallmark cards. I think Frank Sinatra said it best:

L is for the way you look at me, Isaiah
O is for the only man I see
V is very, very extra ordinary life
E is even more than anything I could have asked for

Happy Valentine's Day!

No comments: