Thursday, February 4, 2010

Germ-x, Lysol, and Clorox wipes....

Night #5 of being on my own. There are toys strewn about the house, a sink full of dirty bottles, a book shelf that has been torn apart, a counter full of Motrin, Tylenol, Germ-X, teething tablets, Orajel, Lysol and Clorox wipes. No, this isn't an advertisement, its been my life the past three days. It all started Tuesday morning, a day I had been looking forward to for a while. It was our bi-weekly MOPS meeting. MOPS is a wonderful group of moms who get together on a regular basis to talk, encourage and learn from one another. Its a great couple of hours that I get a "break." Now, this isn't an entire break, because Isaiah comes with me. I used to love bringing him. After he was born, he would sit with me during the meetings or quietly sleep in his carseat. I loved showing him off and enjoyed the feeling I got when I brought him in public. I'm very proud of my little boy. Ever since he started moving I've put him the nursery with rest of the movers and shakers under 3 yrs old. He does really well. Well, Tuesday was not a normal day. We got out the door on time, which is rare, and I was excited to be there. It had been a couple of months since my last meeting and I was anxious to see my friends and catch up with them all. After about 45 mins I went up to check on Isaiah and give him his bottle. I came up to find he was extrememly cranky, not wanting to eat, and just wanting to be held. Not like my son at all. So, every 20 minutes I was running back upstairs to make sure he was okay. Eventually, I took him, and realized his was running a fever. Okay, no problem, gave him tylenol and handed him back to the nursery ladies. Not a good idea. He started screaming and refused to do anything but scream. I knew something was up. After the meeting, I took him and he slept for an hour. Upon waking up, I took his temperature and he had a significant fever.

Now, my Isaiah is never sick. In 10 month he's only had a stuffy nose for a few days. I panicked. His fever was over 100 and I instantly forgot what to do. Do I keep warm, cool him off, stick him in the snow??? So I called everyone I thought would know, and of course no one answers their phone. Eventually, I get a hold of a friend of mine and she calms me down and gives me a few tips. I assume this is teething and that its no big deal. So, we get through the rest of the day, evening comes and again I'm on my own to do dinner and bedtime. Chris has been working most nights, and those are usually my time for a break after a long day. Well, this was day #3 of no break, no husband to hand the reigns over to and I was tired, pregnant and wanted sleep. The next morning, still no break in the fever and its gone up to 102. I call the dr. and they want us to come in. Immediatley, I start wondering what he could have. After packing him up the car, Chris comes home and we drive the 15 miles to town to the dr, and did I mention, its 5 degrees out and I'm taking my baby with a 102 fever out in the cold. We get the dr and he tells us he has no idea whats wrong with him and that its something thats just going around. Seriously, he couldn't just tell me that over the phone?!?!?! So, we run to the store, pick up more medicine and head home. Chris leaves again and again I'm on my own with a baby who is miserable.

Now, when it comes to my life, I have a tendency to make things worse for myself. Before we had Isaiah, we got a dog....and then we got another dog, and now not only do I take care of my son, who isn't always the easiest baby in the world, but I also have two dogs who have done the following this week:

Torn apart both bathroom garbages at least twice a day
Eaten a number of diapers from the garbage
Eaten a few pacifiers
Eaten a few of Isaiah's toys or at least attempted
Eaten off of Isaiah's plate
Pooped/peed in the house or on Isaiah's toys
Fought with eachother over food or dog bone
Took up my space on couch or bed
Overall annoying Isaiah and making him more upset

Lets just say that have put the icing on my stress cake for the week. Its been like taking care of 3 toddlers. I may need to re color my hair after this week, because I'm pretty sure I have a few grays.

So today has thankfully gone a little better. Isaiah's fever has finally started to come down and I enjoyed a much need visit from my friend Heather. Ironically, I spent a half hour explaining to her how wonderful it is to have a baby. But none the less, it was an adult converstation that didn't involve the words poop, diapers, nite nite or any sort of yelling. It was great. I ate 3 pieces of greasy bacon pizza and drank a whole bottle of coke. It was bliss for two hours.

Isaiah has been in better spirits and thankfully eating normally again. I, on the other hand, am exhausted. I'm not on night #5 of doing it on my own and I think I've reached my limit. Props to all my single mamas. You have more strength and energy in you than I do in my big toe.

I may beg Chris to stay home tomorrow for the sake of his wife and her sanity. Doubtful it will happen but I try to be hopeful. I try not to keep score in our marriage because that can get dangerous, but honey if you're reading this YOU SO OWE ME!!!!!

I know this has been very anti-climactic and you'er probably wondering why you wasted you time in reading all of this, but sorry to say, I didn't write it for you. This is merely my way of getting my stresses out. I'm praying tomorrow will be better for us and that it will be restful. I'm probably jinxing myself as I write this.

Side note- if anyone would like to adopt a Bassitt Hound and Jack Russell, please let me know. They are GREAT dogs, house trained and never get into trouble. In fact, I will pay you to come and take them.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sounds like a challenging week for you Sweetie, welcome to parenthood, We've all been there , I know not very comforting right, but misery enjoys company.
Hang in there , this too shall pass.